Florida Southern Insurance offers you the opportunity to customize your homeowner’s insurance policies to meet your specific needs.
Home and Personal Property
Florida Southern Insurance offers protection against the loss of your home or personal property caused by:
- Fire and Lightning
- Windstorm and Hail
- Riot and Civil Commotion
- Vandalism and Malicious Mischief
- Theft On or Off Premises
- Falling Objects
- Weight of Ice or Snow
- Structural Collapse
- Accidental Overflow of Water from Plumbing
- Accidental Electrical Damage to Appliances
- Damage by Accidental Cracking or Bursting of Hot Water Heating Units
- Damage by Freezing Pipes
Comprehensive Coverage (Home)
Comprehensive Coverage may protect you against any direct physical loss to your home except those specifically excluded by the policy you choose. Some examples:
- Water Damage
- Chemical Spills
- Scorched Surfaces
- Glass Breakage
- Interior Damage by Melting Ice and Frozen Snow
- Damage to Floor from Paint Spills
- Chipping of Sink or Tile
- Damage to Underground Pipe from Excavating
Coverage to Protect You
Personal Liability and Medical Payments to Others coverage may provide protection against injury to others or destruction of others’ property, including medical expenses, ambulance charges, hospital expenses and cost of a registered nurse.
- Personal Liability coverage may protect you and your spouse or any relatives living with you and anyone under age 21 in your care.
- May protect against claims you’re legally obligated to pay – bodily injury, sickness, disease and death of others.
- May protect boats you may own or in your care.* Depending on the type, size and horsepower a separate policy may be needed.
- May pay cost of defending claim against you (see policy).
- Damage to property of others.
- First aid expenses of others.
- Accidental death benefits.
High-Valued Personal Property
High-valued personal property contained in your home should be covered as well. Some examples of specific property that Florida Southern Insurance may cover are:
- Jewelry, Watches and Furs
- Cameras, Camcorders
- Silverware, Goldware, Pewterware
- Securities, Deeds
- Watercraft, Trailers, Equipment and Motors
- Money, Coins, Gold
- Computers (on property)
Other Important Coverages
You may not have thought of these, but they could be important. These additional coverages may need to be added to your policy and may require additional premium. Check with your agent to see if these coverages are included on your policy and potential coverage amount options.
- Damage to Trees and Shrubs From Specified Perils
- May pay to Replace Locks When Keys are Stolen
- Loss of Use
- Consequential Loss
- Pets on Premises
- Credit Card Forgery
- Inflation Protection
- Reasonable Repairs
Some Optional Coverages
These optional coverages may need to be added to your policy and may require additional premium.
- Building Additions and Alterations
- Sewer or drain backup
- Replacement Cost Contents
- Replacement Cost Plus on Dwelling
- Ordinance or Law
Additional Optional Coverages
Some optional coverages you may want to consider:
- Personal Injury Protection, libel, slander, false imprisonment, wrongful eviction
- Loss Assessment (Homeowners’ Associations)
At Florida Southern Insurance, we want to make sure you have all the information available to you to keep you and your family protected. But we also want you to be aware of ways you can save money, both with Florida Southern Insurance cost-saving plans and things you can do yourself.
Checking Your Coverage
You may want to ask a Florida Southern Insurance professional about:
- Policy exclusions (What has limited coverage, and what is not covered at all?)
- Any endorsements you should consider (for example, replacement cost coverage on your possessions)
- Available discounts (for home security system or for having multiple policies with Florida Southern Insurance like homeowners and auto)
Saving with Your Deductible
Remember the higher the deductible you select, the less you pay in premiums. But also remember that, in the event of a loss, a higher deductible means more money out of your pocket.
Your Policy Limits
Be sure to check your policy limits to be sure you have enough coverage to protect all of your personal property. You can do this by:
Preparing an itemized list of all items in our home, including furniture, clothing and electronic and other equipment – a good way to think about all the things you own and how much it would cost to replace them.
Asking your Florida Southern Insurance agent for a copy of our free Household Inventory Booklet.
Recording Your Belongings
A great way to document all of your belongings is to keep a photographic record. This record can be a video or just pictures. Remember though, you should always keep paper records like receipts as well.
In the event of a claim, this will help you recall all your possessions. It will help serve as proof that you had all these items in your home at the time of the loss.
Be sure to keep the video or pictures off premises (preferably in a safe deposit box).
There are things that you can do everyday in order to prevent a loss from occurring in the first place. Of course, there is no guarantee that you will never experience a loss, but these are good ideas for everybody:
- Remember to lock your doors and windows when leaving
- Don’t invite crime by leaving expensive items in direct view of open windows
- Use timers on lights and radios to give your home that “lived-in” look when you’re away
There are some simple things you can do to be eligible for additional discounts while making your home safer*:
- Install monitored fire and burglary alarms
- Install ultrasonic local burglary alarms
- Have fire extinguishers available throughout your home
- Install deadbolt locks on all exterior entryways
- Install sprinklers
*State availability may vary